Reasons You Might Need a Bed Bug Exterminator in Toronto
If you are like a lot of people, you are wondering why bed bugs are suddenly making news for their infestations in homes, hotels, college dorms, nursing homes, and other settings. These tiny parasites reproduce in large numbers and migrate easily from place to place. Their affinity for woven fabrics and the ability to travel through walls increases the problem of infestations occurring in multi-unit facilities when only one unit was originally contaminated. Recognizing that you have bed bugs early on and hiring a professional bed bug exterminator in Toronto to address the problem can prevent the problem from growing into a much larger one. These are some signs to look for:
- Telltale Bites
- Blood Spots in Bed
- A Musky Smell
- Look at All Upholstery
- Check All of Your Clothing
– Bed bugs feed on your blood while you sleep, resulting in red, itchy bites that look like flat welts. The bites do not carry any disease, but they are painful and constant scratching can lead to infection. If the bites occur while you are trying to sleep, this almost guarantees that bed bugs are the problem and not another kind of insect.
– Bed bugs leave spots of blood behind when they feed. Examine your bedding for what appears as small, rust-colour spots around the outer edges and corners. There may also be brown spots that are the bugs’ skin from having shed. Remove the bedding and check out the mattress for the same signs as the bugs.
– The smell produced by bed bugs is similar to that of a damp towel that has set out for too long. The strong, unpleasant odour results from pheromones released by the bugs.
– After examining the bed, move on to the furniture and edges of the carpeting for the reddish-brown spots. They may be under the bed, behind the headboard, or in clothing in drawers.
– If the bed bugs came to your home from another person’s where there was already an infestation, it was probably by attaching to your clothes.
The best way to get rid of bed bugs is to prevent them from entering your home at all. Unfortunately, this is virtually impossible. Many people fail to realize they even have a bed bug problem until it has already gotten out of hand.
If you enter a home that is known to have bed bugs, you may have them on you by the time you leave. Bed bugs are not limited to the bedroom and may be in sofas, chairs, and other upholstered furnishings. Avoid buying used furniture or renting furniture that has already been used. Keep in mind that even the upholstery in your vehicle may have been contaminated with bed bugs.
There are a number of methods used to get rid of bed bugs, including freezing, heating, chemical and barrier methods. When hiring a bed bug exterminator in Toronto, look for experience and a record of success to ensure you get the best possible results before the situation spreads. Building a relationship with the exterminator will provide you with a reliable partner in case future signs of bed bug infestation should occur again.